January 2012 Board Meeting Minutes

Board Meeting January 10, 2012

Present: Sue Alden, Bob Bourke, Clem Clemmer, Cindy Turner, Darren Rogers, Kelly Adams, Franklin Denis, Don Young

Absent: Bruce Jahnke, Kelo Maosi, Steve Brennan,Rod Castanha, Glenn Magyar, Gus Gustavson

With a proxy from Steve Brennan, a quorum was declared and the meeting called to order at 7:05pm

Approval of Minutes: The amended minutes from the December 8, 2011 meeting were reviewed and approved without further changes.

Delta Claim: Mediation Bob reports that the mediation meeting is scheduled for 2/10/12. Cindy, Kelly and Sue plan to attend and possibly Bob Sanders if he is available. Bob reports that the engineering documentation from Delta is behind schedule and not available yet. Delta has requested more documentation from ELRA which includes aerial photos of the Lake. Cindy will provide photos of the Lake during the runoff.

Financial Report there is currently $9500 in the checking account. Second notices were sent last week to delinquent residents and four have paid to date. We have also received some fees through escrow for a sale with past due fees and late fees ($720) and a $400 encroachment fee. Another encroachment fee is pending. There was discussion about Darren building a pool on his property that would be within his previous recorded encroachment.

The security boat needed some work ($150) which John Kelly provided. John also says the carburetor needs work from a mechanic which may run about $200. He also estimates about $600 in materials to fix the boat dock (he will donate his labor). There was a motion (Kelly) and a second (Darren) to approve the expenditures for the boat repair (total $350) and dock repair with an $800 cap. The motion passed.

Lake Health/Siphon project/City Permit/Berm Opening The Lake is not looking good. Bob has written a letter to the City asking for assistance with getting the permits. He also provided a schedule and calendar for optimal berm openings. The DOH and Army CofE continue to hold up the permitting paperwork. Sue will send copies of the letter to appropriate departments including Ikaika, Pono and Jill.

NOAA/Mangrove Project report January 15th will be the last large mangrove removal date. Further smaller ones will be needed to remove seedlings. There should be media coverage of the event and Ikaika has indicated he will assist.

Development of wetland property adjacent to Kaelepulu Stream Bob and Cindy have drafted a letter objecting to the evaluation of wetland/non-wetland designation of this property. Cindy filed for a Freedom of Information Act to request documents from the Army C of E and was denied. Cindy will draft an informational letter to send to the Lake residents that will be impacted by this development.

Amendments and By-laws Re-do Darren met with Kathy Kelly and addressed her concerns regarding the amendment re-do. She and other concerned residents have questioned the necessity of re-writing the by-laws and amendments. Bob recounted meetings with the attorney in which the attorney stated that the by-laws are antiquated and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch. Kathy has provided detailed notes of the changes and her concerns. Darren went over these concerns and the board feels the comments are valid and will be addressed. Cindy will try to create a document which directly compares the old and new by-laws to facilitate discussion. Darren will share this plan with Kathy.

Security Officer’s Report Karla sent a report from Kelo via Margie. As the boat is at the Kelly’s, he cannot respond to calls. Bob received a call about people placing nets and traps near the entrance to the Lake. He called the Dept of Wildlife Enforcement and received an immediate response. The officer went to the site but the nets had been removed. Bob made a motion to send a letter to the Dept of Wildlife Enforcement that would welcome state law officers on common Lake property as needed to enforce fishing regulations, trespassing and other legal infractions. There was a second (Franklin) and the motion passed.

Facebook/Community Outreach Cindy has posted some updates. Kelly will update the current condition of the Lake.

Newsletter The first e-newsletter went out last month. Cindy is using Constant Contact which provides lots of data on how the newsletter is received. We are still working on updating the email list to include more resident. 25 people who opened the newsletter went to one of the links. We will try for a monthly newsletter. Items for the next newsletter will include the berm situation, algae, wetland development and a bird profile.

Old Business The Lake meter continues to report scattered data and needs technical assistance. Water level is too low for the boundary sign. No progress on dredging. Bob contacted the fish tag maker. They requested evidence of a valid aquatic resource tagging program before selling the tags. Franklin has had difficulty contacting Bruce Anderson regarding the oyster farming. Bob was able to give him some additional phone numbers.

3 boats participated in the holiday flotilla.

New Business Cindy will attend the February (2/2/12) KNB. Kelly has volunteered for March.

Next meeting will be 2/16/12

 

 

Talking points for KNB Meeting

  • Possible Wetland development- lot #s
  • Lack of berm openings, problems with permit, would appreciate help to find out what needs to be done with DOH and Army Cof E (berm level currently at 6.2ft-lots of flooding will occur before water breaches this during a hard rain)
  • Major portion of mangrove removal completed, keiki removal over the next year then yearly maintenance

Talking points for KCA Meeting

  • Kukilakila had information seminar for proper use of pesticides
  • Wetland development
  • Algae clean-up

The meeting was adjourned at 9:25pm

Next Meeting

Thursday, February 16, 2012
7pm Cindy’s House