July 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Present:  M. Novack, S. Harding, A. Richardson, J. Fernie, G. Colbert, Michele Compton, Mike Compton, G. Lingle, G. Gustavson, R. Castanha. D. Kroll, Cindy Turner (Webmaster), and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

Absent:  D. Young

Special Guest: Jeanette Bean

A quorum was called by G. Colbert and the meeting was called to order at 7:05 pm. 

Approval of Minutes:  G. Gustavson moved and S. Harding seconded the minutes of the June 11th meeting be approved.  The motion passed.

Finance:  Copies of the report had been emailed to the Board prior to the meeting. Our involvement with the tax consultant at The Woods Firm is about completed.  The total cost was about $52,000.   The yearly assessments are coming in and they should boost our revenue about $40,000.

Strategic Plans:  Items due in July:  General Excise tax, D. & O. insurance and work on the 2020 budget.  A. Richardson noted that the Security Boat policy is in an individual name (should be ELRA) as US Boat does not insure corporations.  The completed EcoHarvester will also need to be insured.  C. Turner suggested canceling our present policy. She will contact Matt Len regarding a policy for both the EcoHarvester and the Security boat (13ft. Boston Whaler with 25hp. Engine) listing ELRA as the insured.

  1. Lingle will reinstall the Private Lake sign.
  2. Spencer presented a list of homes sold during the last 18 months with the new owners. We can contact these with our “welcome” letter.

Andy Char has presented us with a draft of the new Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws.  G. Colbert, D. Young, and M. Novack will study and make all additions and corrections they feel necessary and this will then go back to Mr. Char.  By next month we hope to have a final draft.

  1. Castanha reported that Mid-Pac will have an HDMI compatible set up for our PowerPoint presentation for the October Meeting. He will call M. Novack with the quote for the price per plate for the dinner. It will be very close to last year’s.  S. Harding thinks that a contractor will have been chosen by that time.

Finance Committee:  Mike Compton has volunteered to do the Audit for the period 2018 to 2019.  This needs to be completed by the October General Meeting.

Dredge:   On June 13, 2019, a presentation was given by Sean Harding of ELRA, supported by Margaret Novack, Bob Bourke, OCEANIT (Jordan Moniuszko) to the Kailua Water Pollution Subcommittee headed by Levani Lipton on prospective plans for dredging a portion of the lake.  A Sediment and Sampling Analysis Report used in our dredge permitting process was distributed.  The subcommittee acknowledged ELRAs desire for the dredge and is evaluating our efforts with regard to the whole of Kailua waterway management.  The meeting was a positive experience for all attendees.  Minutes were provided to the subcommittee constituents with copies provided to the ELRA Dredge Committee.

Hawaii Coastal Zone Management (CZM) Program application submitted is approved as of 06/29/19 and forwarded to USACE.  The State Office of Environmental Quality Control publication “The Environmental Notice” published a public notice for review/comment.  The review/comment period is over.  There were no unfavorable comments from the public that required response.

USACE “Letter of Permission” issued 06/28/19 grants us authorization for maintenance dredging the lake.  There are no additional State/Federal permissions/applications required of ELRA.

ELRA mailed out on 7/07/19 Public Notice Information letters to state elected officials, owners of lakeside properties, as well as other governmental and private stakeholders with an interest in Kailua waterways.

ELRA dredge committee needs to contract a third party Construction Management Oversite organization to monitor for full compliance with all State/Federal requirements associated with the permissions granted for dredging.  Several entities shall be considered and decisions will be forthcoming.

ELRA Dredge Committee needs to make ready the Request for Proposal (RFP) and send out to potential contractors for bid.  They also need to discuss the methodology of the dredging with the contractor and obtain the right of entry from lakeside members supporting dredge operations.

 

Community Relations:  Michele Compton provided us with a

new and updated Block Captain list. It was discussed whether we should attend both the KNB meeting and the Clean Waterways meeting.  The head of Clean Waterways, Levani Lipton, asked that we attend hers.  Most felt we should attend both meetings.  KNB is on the 1st Thursday of the month and Clean Waterways is on the 2nd Thursday.  G. Lingle is scheduled for the Sept. KNB meeting and J. Fernie for the October.  As of yet, no one is scheduled for the Clean Waterways meetings.  Michele stated Derrick Esbill will help get volunteers to stencil storm drains.  Levani Lipton wants the wording to say “Goes to Beach” not “Goes to Ocean.”

Annual Meeting:  R. Castanha reported MidPac will have an HDMI compatible system for our use for our PowerPoint presentation during our annual meeting in October.  He will call M. Novack with a figure for the price per plate for the event as soon as he receives it from MidPac.

Lake Security:  Mike Compton reported that there were 5 boats out on the lake on the 4th of July – 4 did not have stickers.  They were given the handout and all were amenable to purchasing stickers.  Mike is continuing to work on the new Lake Rules.  He will wait until we get the new By-Laws so all wording will be correct.  There was much discussion on the description of “floating docks”.  The decision was to call them “non-powered vessels” and they need a $10 sticker.

Nominations Committee:  Michele Compton moved and A. Richardson seconded we vote in Jeanette Bean for a term as Director expiring in 2021.  The motion passed unanimously.  Her current areas of interest are lake maintenance, security and community relations.  We all look forward to working with her.

Executive session was called. 

Next Meeting Date:  The next meeting date will be Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 at 7 pm at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church at 780 Keolu Drive.  The meeting was adjourned at 9:31 pm.