May 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, May 14th, 2019

Present:  M. Novack, J. Fernie, D. Young, R. Castanha, A. Richardson, D. Kroll, G. Colbert, S. Harding, , Mike Compton (via phone), Michele Compton (via phone), C. Turner (Webmaster), and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

Absent:  G. Gustavson, G. Lingle, and B. Tassie.

Prior to having a quorum, the April minutes were discussed and corrected.  They will be resent out to the board and voted on via email. 

A quorum was called by G. Colbert and the meeting was called to order at 7:06pm.

Finance:  A. Richardson had previously sent us copies of the report via email.   A large cash balance from Schwab was reinvested early April in 2 new 3 month CDs at 2.35%.  After discussion, D. Kroll moved and D. Young seconded that we keep the yearly assessment at $300.  The motion was passed unanimously. J. Fernie moved and M. Novack seconded the Finance Report be approved.  The motion passed unanimously.  B. Tassie will be asked to start The Annual Audit up to June 30, 2018.    

Dredge:  S. Harding and the Dredge Team have sent out notice to the original six contractors that showed interest in our Dredge project. Four have responded with questions about the Project.  A DRAFT Request for Proposal (RFP) and other Documents have been provided.  Once we have final approval to begin dredging,  we will finalize the RFP and submit official copies to the interested contractors.  We’ve asked the contractors for a general performance methodology to complete the project.  This will help us with future discussions.

Department of Health’s (DOH) Clean Water Board Section 401 Water Quality Certification response expired on 3/29/19. That same day we submitted a Waiver request to USACE.  DOH subsequently gave us a favorable response on 5/10/19 with no further actions associated with Section 401 Certification.

A modified application for Hawaii Coastal Zone Management (CZM) Program federal consistency review was signed 5/13/19 and delivered to the State Office of Planning for their action.  A 6-month federal consistency review timeframe is allowed.  A public notice will be published in the State Office of Environmental Quality Control publication “The Environmental Notice” so the public can review/comment on the proposal.  The CZM is the final State agency action needed prior to US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) review of all required documents and agency input to support review/approval of the Dredge Project.

Several Board members met with KS on 5/2/19 about a Right of Entry agreement in support of their property usage during the Dredge Project.  They were briefed on the Project Status.  We agreed that a ROE is a little premature at this juncture and we’ll set up another meeting closer to need date.

Article of Incorporation/Bylaws:  G. Colbert has met with Bill Sullivan of KCA and the Bylaws were discussed.  He also intends to attend their Board meeting.  A letter of engagement has been signed by G. Colbert engaging Andy Char to update our Bylaws.  A copy of this letter will be sent to the Board.

Strategic Plans:  An updated list of all DPP homeowners is needed by the end of May for assessment purposes.  Mike Compton also needs a copy of this list to aid in his job as Lake Security Officer.

QSF/Trust update:  A. Richardson reported the Woods Firm draft documents have been reviewed.  Both have the Fish and Wildlife Service oversee the Trust.  The Irrevocable Trust Fund documents were reviewed by M. Novack, D. Young, G. Gustavson, and A. Richardson in a 5/9/19 meeting.  It was noted that 2 of the 3 Trustees for the fund should not be Board members.  Hugo DeVries and Bob Bourke were suggested as replacements.  D. Kroll moved and S. Harding seconded that Hugo DeVries and Bob Bourke be appointed trustees of the Irrevocable Trust.  The motion passed unanimously.  D. Young is the third.  Fish and Wildlife is presently running the project by their lawyers in Portland OR.  D. Young commented that A. Richardson should be complimented and thanked for his immense amount of work on this Trust project.  We all agree.

Community Relations:  R. Castanha was able to secure October 12th for our Annual Meeting at Mid-Pac.  He was able to keep the same buffet menu at only a slight increase in cost. That number is to be determined.  June’s KNB meeting will be monitored by D. Young.

Nominating Committee:  D. Kroll has ascertained that all Board members reaching the end of their term this year will agree to stay on, with one possible exception.  He is also working on staggering some of the terms so not so many expire at once.

Operations Committee:  Mike Compton reported the Security boat stickers have been ordered.  The expiration date is 30 June 2020.  There have been several incidents of possible trespassers and/or illegal fishing lately.  Darren Rodgers has volunteered to accompany Mike on these encounters. All stops have been documented with photos that are then sent to the Board.  Mike Compton moved and A. Richardson seconded that D. Rodgers be designated Assistant Security Officer.  Motion passed unanimously.  Mike Compton volunteered to run point on revising the Lake Rules.  He will send his changes to D. Young and M. Novack to confer on wording.

Next Meeting Date:  The next meeting date will be Tuesday June 11, 2019 at 7pm at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church at 780 Keolu Drive.  The meeting was adjourned at 8:49pm.