May 2022 Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Zoom Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Conducted via Zoom: Present: D. Young, J. Bean, G. Colbert, M. Compton, L. Jenks, A. Richardson, D. Medeiros, F. Tannen, and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

Absent: D. Dawson, M. Novack, G. Gustafson, C. Jewell, and C. Turner

Guests: Bob Bourke, Derek Esibill

The meeting was called to order by D. Young, President, at 7:09 pm. A quorum was declared.

The meeting was opened with guest Derek Esibill providing a summary/explanation of the December 8 -21 water sampling data.

He explained that data suggests the system is eutrophic, (body of water enriched in dissolved nutrients that stimulate the growth of aquatic plant life usually resulting in the depletion of dissolved oxygen). Data also suggests there is a strong influence of ground water in this system. This may explain why the system is not hypersaline. Initial data also indicates that the nutrient loads decline as a function of distance to the ocean.

The relationship between distance from the ocean and nutrient loads indicates the wetland, pond and stream are functioning as they naturally should. The nutrients are being transformed as they move from upland seaward and significantly less nutrients are going into the ocean than are entering the system.

In a nutshell, he explained that when the berm opened in early December 2021 coupled with lots of rainfall that a strong nutrient decline resulted in very clear water in the lake. Nutrients move from Mauka to Makai therefore movement when berm is open clears the lake. Once the berm closed, the December 21 data shows the nutrient load increasing. Bottom Line = flow/movement is a must for a healthy wetland system.

Ensuing discussion revolved around how best to use this information to influence berm opening. D. Esibill informed the Board the Randy Cates is a vocal advocate for berm opening – maybe we can find a use. D. Young mentioned ongoing dialogue with Council Member KiaAina and Rep. Lisa Marten. B. Bourke stated he was staying on top of Corp of Engineers / City permit process.

D. Esibill departed the meeting.

Minutes: The draft Minutes for April 2022 had been circulated via email prior to the meeting.
Following a brief discussion, G. Colbert moved approval and F. Tannen seconded the motion that the Minutes be approved. The remaining members approved the report unanimously.

Finance: A. Richardson reported during April we moved funds from our accounts at American Savings and Capital One to our account at Charles Schwab where it was invested in CDs. The CDs all mature in early November 2022 and bear interest at .9% and .95%, which, while still low, was much better than we were receiving at the other accounts. The CDs are all with FDIC insured 5 star rated banks.
The other cash balances as reflected on the accompanying balance sheet as of April 30, 2022, are as follows:
American Savings Bank – Checking $28,173; American Savings Bank – Savings $ 2,251; Capital One Money Market $28,726; Charles Schwab – Brokerage $ 142

The accompanying year to date Budget vs. Actual through April 30, 2022, indicates several areas, which while previously known, are still considerably under spent. These areas include Lake Maintenance (clean-up & Eco Harvester), Water Analysis, and Security Boat operation. If any of this underspending represents un- invoiced, or unreimbursed cost, it is requested the invoices be presented and reimbursements be requested well before the end of June so they can be applied against this fiscal year’s budget. Mike Compton mentioned that sticker prices going up, almost what we charge. May consider raising boat sticker charges,

2022-2023 Maintenance Assessment and other Fees: There appears to be no need to increase the Annual Assessment or other fees for the coming year. However, the Board should affirmatively take action on this.


Communications Log: D. Young had shared his log prior to the Meeting. He highlighted his continued efforts to get HCYF permit moving; efforts to locate an organization willing and able to clean the Lake; and his correspondence with Derek regarding water sampling.

Report from the Kailua Neighborhood Board (KNB): D. Medeiros reported KNB highlights:
– No July 4 parade due to permitting issue.
– Fireworks off flat island 8pm on July 4th.
– Boat Ramp for recreational use (Laura Theilen) Replacement in design stage. Will take two years or more for design, permitting and construction. Replacement to be for the long term (30 years) and anticipate sea level rise due to climate change.
– DISH wireless gave an informational presentation for construction of a 68’ tower above 300 Akiahala St. It is at a Board of Water Supply site. I don’t think they were seeking KNB approval yet.
– MCBH is having an air show August 12(military personnel), 13, and 14. 10am- 4pm.
The show will include the Blue Angels.
– nothing on the berm.
– future Kailua Neighborhood board meetings will be in person. They will no longer be using Webex.

October Membership Meeting Possible Venues: D. Young stated that due to Mid-Pac no longer an option, he contacted Koolau Conference Center re: venue availability and costs. Prior to meeting he provided pamphlet with rooms, menu to the Board for review. He stated that no deposit fee was required, and that both Friday October 14th and Saturday the 15th were currently open. G. Colbert moved approval for Saturday the 15th, D. Medeiros seconded. Remainder of board unanimously approved., D. Young will confirm for Saturday, October 15.

Discussion on continuing Meeting via Zoom. D. Young mentioned that Episcopal Church has not responded to our inquiry yet. Therefore, monthly Board Meetings will continue via Zoom.

Committee Reports:

Dredging Committee Report: G. Colbert opened the report saying he had met with Senator Chris Lee this morning and they had discussed the following:

1) Cooperation between HECO and public to fund the cleanup of Mangroves in the wetland,
2) The Hawaii Youth Correctional Facility (HYCF) lack of response (this morning’s scheduled meeting was again cancelled), and
3) Possible alternate sites of dredge material:
-proposed Dog Park on Hamakua – State may be dredging the stream and then using dredge materials in park, maybe we could add ours. Indicated Sen. Lee was interested, talks will continue
– Waimanalo DLNR properties flooding. Legislature has funded the building up of these lands, maybe this is an opportunity

Todd Gray, Land Asset Manager, Community Engagement & Resources Group for Kamehameha Schools indicated that he spoke to larger KS land team and they are interested in further discussing use of the KS property on the Lake. Requested more meetings with ELRA. G. Colbert to follow-up with suggested dates for himself and D. Young to meet with them.

Discussion ensued and it was agreed that because we are so far in the process with HYCF, that we continue to stay engaged with local representatives to try and make that work, but that we continue to seek viable alternatives.

Environment Committee: No report as L. Jenks had left the meeting. Extensive water sampling information had been presented by D. Esibill.

Operations Committee: M. Compton reported no security issues.

He is meeting with Canoe Club representative to show clean-up sites on Thursday May 12. Before committing to volunteering members to help, they wanted eyes on the protentional sites.

D. Young mentioned that a couple of Lot owners had contacted ELRA about regular trash buildup, particularly Kimo’s Cove. The owners were not pleased that ELRA has not been helpful recently, citing past cleanup efforts were performed by ELRA. One owner supplied costs of contracting a private trash hauler as $972. D. Young has not responded to them.

Discussion ensued about lake clean up, is it solely an owner’s responsibility or should ELRA be taking responsibility, or maybe share?? It was noted the Bylaws state that maintenance of owners’ waterfronts is the responsibility of the owner. However, most of the Board indicated they believe ELRA is obligated to help; after all, ‘lake maintenance’ is in our charter. Also agreed that ELRA should share costs with owners who contracted their own cleanup. We continue to look at volunteers or hybrid approach.

G. Colbert mentioned that City and County (C&C) in past had brought backhoes and placed in Green trucks. B. Bourke said since 2006, C&C has said “No” due to liability issues.

B Bourke suggested contacting Hawaii-2-Grow 479-0704, a local pond/aquarium cleaner to see if he’s capable/interested.

Membership Committee: There was no report from the Membership Committee.

Next Meeting Date: The next Board meeting will take place by Zoom on Tuesday, June 14, 2022, at 7pm. The next KNB meeting will be June 2, 2022. A. Richardson is scheduled to attend.

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted
J. Bean

Tasks from previous months still needing to be completed.

1-2 TASK: Send USPS Letter to residents living along and near the Kaelepulu Canal, offering them the opportunity to have access to ELRA Emergency Announcements ** M. Novack

1-3 TASK: Board member to visit ELRA Members who are in arrears in their assessments ** G. Colbert.

2-1 TASK: Contact local mountain and motor bike clubs to seek cooperation concerning trails. Consider writing letter to private owner making them aware of the impact of the trails on down slope homes and Lake. ** Relevant, to be addressed in the future.

2-5 TASK: Write a letter requesting the grass cut along canals by C&C be collected after it is cut to prevent it from being washed into the Lake** D. Young
NOTE: It was agreed to delay writing the letter until photos can be provided