November 2020 Board Meeting Minutes

Enchanted Lake Residents Association Board of Directors Zoom Meeting, Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Conducted via Zoom: Present: M. Novack, G. Gustavson, J. Fernie, A. Richardson, J. Bean, D. Young, S. Harding, L. Jenks, D. Kroll, M. Compton, D. Medeiros, and C. Turner (Webmaster).

Absent: R. Castanha, G. Colbert, and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

A quorum was declared and the meeting was called to order by M. Novack at 7:05pm.

Approval of Minutes: G. Gustavson moved and S. Harding seconded that the October 2020 minutes be approved. They were approved unanimously.

Finance: Prior to the meeting, G. Gustavson had sent the monthly Financial Report to all Board members. He reported that we were on track and following the budget with nothing of significance to report. J. Fernie moved and D. Kroll seconded the Finance report be approved. The October Report was approved unanimously.

Administration:

Articles of Incorporation: D. Young reported the updated Articles of Incorporation have been filed with DCCA and are in effect.

Annual Report 2020: M. Novack reported that she will be sending the draft (previously approved) Annual Meeting Report to the Board, asking for last edits.

Membership Committee Report: Prior to this meeting, M. Compton sent the board a copy of the minutes of the inaugural meeting of the Membership Committee conducted via Zoom on October 27th, 2020. It was attended by M. Compton, J. Bean, D. Medeiros, and D. Young. Their discussion focused on the purpose of, criteria for, responsibilities of, and privileges of Associate and Volunteer members. Much discussion ensued and some clarifications need to be made to the current bylaws. D. Young volunteered to do these and send them out to the board for approval.

Operations Committee:

Security: M. Compton reported he had gotten two quotes to repair the water intrusion on the security boat. The person chosen has a trailer and will do the job in his boat shop. Approximate cost will be $4,000. We will also be purchasing a Yamaha long shaft (HP?) engine with trim and tilt from Windward Boats at a cost of $5,700. G. Gustavson moved and M. Novack seconded that we approve these expenditures. The motion passed unanimously. This is a savings over the original $20,000 approved for a new boat and motor.

Lake Health: The Lake is still very green. New rainfall and the big October water main break (all fresh water) on Papalani Street are partially to blame. All trash and silt flushed into the Lake from the storm drain between the break and where it enters the lake add to this problem. The lack of infusion of salt water due to not having scheduled berm openings has upset the balance. It was suggested that we send a letter to our new Representative, Lisa Marten. S. Harding said he had talked to her and she seemed to have a good knowledge of the waterway situation in Kailua.

Water Testing: Bob Bourke used to do this when he lived here. We have $1000 allocated for it in the budget. C. Turner thought Derek Esibill was going to take this over but it did not happen. He has said there is a new environmental program that must be followed.

Bob Bourke has provided us with a Lake Event Documentation Form. This will be posted on our website by C. Turner so all observers of a runoff, flooding, or ecological event can successfully document and report the event. Included instructions on how to document (photos with date stamps), duration of the problem, how to take a sample, label and where to send it and for what it should be analyzed. This documentation will help to establish responsibility for pollutant loads with appropriate compensation to help with cleanup.

Dredge: S. Harding reported that COVID19 has significantly slowed progress on all fronts of this project. As of now, all permits are in place, the contractor has been chosen but is not yet under contract, and the egress lot is still approved. It was hoped we could bypass the $50,000 grading permit, but he did not think so. A meeting is scheduled later this week by the subcommittee that will decide this.

Officer Elections: Prior to the meeting, M.Novack had sent an email to the Board with a proposed slate of officers for the coming year. This slate was based on requests for nominations, discussions, and declinations.

Slate of Officers for 2021:
President: Don Young
Treasurer: Gus Gustavson
Secretary: Margaret Novack

M. Novack moved approval of the slate and L. Jenks seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Miscellaneous: The possibility of having a Christmas light and caroling parade was discussed. Due to COVID19, a potluck as in previous years, would be out of the question. A date of Sunday, December 13th was chosen. Weather permitting, the boats and barges etc. will meet at 5:45pm in the center of the lake (socially distanced) near the Comptons. D. Young will ask George Lingle if he will head the parade as in previous years. C. Turner will put this on our website.

Next Meeting Date: The next meeting will take place by Zoom on Tuesday, December 8th, 2020 at 7pm. The meeting was adjourned at 8:28pm.