Enchanted Lake Residents Association Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Virtual Meeting, Tuesday, 8 August 2023
PRESENT: Greg Colbert, Gus Gustavson, Connie Jewell, Todd Jewell, Danny Medeiros, Margaret Novack, Fran Tannen, Cindy Turner, Alan Richardson, and Don Young
ABSENT: Mike Compton, Dustin Dawson, and Linda Jenks.
GUESTS: Bob Bourke, George Lingle, Ralph Winnie
CALL TO ORDER – Don Young: The meeting was called to order at 7:02 pm. A quorum was declared.
APPROVAL OF THE JULY MINUTES – Connie Jewell: Draft minutes were emailed to the Board prior to the meeting. Greg Colbert moved to approve the July minutes and Gus Gustavson seconded the motion. The minutes were approved unanimously with one abstention from a member not at the July meeting.
FINANCIAL REPORT – Gus Gustavson/Alan Richardson: The Monthly Financial Report for July 2023 was emailed to the Board along with the following summary prior to the meeting:
- There are no significant changes in the ELRA finances for the month of July 2023. The American Savings Bank April end of month balances are $2,252 in Savings and $45,801 in checking. There have been no major expenses in July.
- Regarding the renewal of our liability insurance, Pyramid Insurance continues to shop for new liability insurance coverage.
- The U.S. Liability Insurance Company renewed our Non-Profit Management Liability (Officers and Directors Insurance). In early August we paid the Directors and Officers Insurance for $3104.
The Financial report was approved by acclimation pending audit.
1. Correspondence Report – Don Young:
Invitations to the October 2023 Annual Meeting have been issued by letter to Esther Kia’aina.
The third letter of notification to John Creedon was discussed. This last certified letter was sent 1 Aug 23. There has been some response to ELRA’s request, but more work needs to be done to remove the numerous damaged and sunken water craft in the Creedon water front. Greg Colbert volunteered to visit with Creedon to introduce Sean Carroll who will try to remove the remaining sunken items. There was considerable discussion about how to proceed, but it was finally agreed to hold off any action until September.
2. Kailua Neighborhood Board Meeting Report – 6 Jul 23 – Todd Jewell: Todd Jewell provided highlights of the July 2023 meeting.
Bob Bourke reported that he was in attendance. He noted that a motion was passed by the KNB to provide explanations for the significant variation in assessed land value for TMK 4-2-061 parcels 1-105 properties. (Planning, Zoning, and Environment Committee motion.)
Bourke stated that he had reported to the KNB that the mangroves on city property should be removed. His request was followed by an observation, by Randall Yew that there were a lot of mangroves on Kamehameha Schools property. Bourke asks: “Did we send a letter to KS asking that they remove the mangroves from their property?” The answer being no, he requested that this be done.
>>> 8-1 Task: Draft letter to Kamehameha Schools, requesting they remove the mangroves on their Enchanted Lake Properties. – Greg Colbert
3. Annual Report – Don Young: D. Young reminded everyone that the Committee reports are due 25 September. Don is going through the Board Minutes for ideas. He asked that committee chairs begin to think about what should be in the reports. Young also asked for volunteers who were willing to help with the report documents. He emphasized that photos are very important and informative.
4. Planning Annual Meeting – Fran Tannen: Fran reports that she has coordinated with MidPac to get possible menus. Fran asks how much should we charge? Fran will be away for three weeks in Sep. D. Young suggests that Bill Hicks, Levani Lipton, and Lisa Martin should be invited again. Cindy moved that that they be invited and Gus Gustavson seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
5. 2023 Goals and Objectives Review – Todd Jewell/All: T. Jewell has not received any new information from Committee members other than L. Jenks report from last meeting. T. Jewell will put together a few bullet points from this report and send them to L. Jenks.
Dredging Committee – Greg Colbert: As Greg Colbert missed the prior July 11 meeting, some of the discussion of his 7/11/23 report was deferred to the 8/8/23 meeting. New information includes:
Check-in Meeting with Oceanit: Bob Bourke and Greg Colbert met with Oceanit by teleconference on 8/1/23 to discuss potential progress. Representing Oceanit were Jordan Moniuszko and Bernadette Senelly. Because Greg did not have further guidance from the board (due to his 7/11/23 absence), no substantive direction was provided although we did discuss an additional strategy option relayed by Greg Colbert.
Proposed Next Steps:The next steps are essentially those that were included in the 7/11/23 report. I propose that we move forward with the needed discussions, but at the same time, allow Bob to start work on the application process. Pending approval from the board, I will contact the Hawaii Kai Marina association to seek input from them and get advice on how to best observe and understand their island. I also propose that we budget $5,000 to retain Oceanit and use their services to further facilitate contact with the Corps and review Bob’s work. The $5,000 was proposed by Bernadette Senelly of Oceanit as a likely consulting amount. She would bill based on time invested, but she believes we should be able to accomplish most if not all goals within the $5,000 amount. I will get an updated estimate as we better understand the application process and what specifics we might ask of her. Jordan continues to be our primary Oceanit Consultant, but Bernadette is a specialist in obtaining this type of permit.
Other Disposal Site Leads:
- The management of Olomana Golf Course got back with us and declined our offer. They were sympathetic to our situation and offered to contact others that they may know who may need soil. We will continue to stay in contact.
- Randy Cates suggested calling John King of Hawaiian Earth Products to inquire about locating the dredge materials on some of their property. Greg has initiated a call but has not yet heard back on a time to talk. Bob Bourke had contacted him two years earlier and the response was negative, and there is no real suggestion that the response would change.
- Environmental Committee – Linda Jenks: Cindy Turner reported that she has been working with Levani Lipton on a presentation to the stakeholders of the City’s Stormwater Management Division. Bob Bourke reported that last February, accompanied by Hugo DeVries, Linda Jenks, and another person, he inspected the curb inlet boxes that directly flow into the lake. Every inlet box was full of trash and green waste. The City DFM emptied them in July, 2022. Since then, some have accumulated about 5” of muck.
- Operations Committee – Mike Compton: No Report
- Membership Committee – Danny Medeiros: D. Medeiros stated that Board member, Dustin Dawson, has resigned from the Board. D. Young requested a letter be provided stating he was resigning from the Board.
AJOURNMENT: A motion for adjournment was made by Alan Richardson and seconded by Greg Colbert. D. Young adjourned the meeting at 8:45 pm.
MINUTES SUBMITTED BY: Margaret Novack
- Board of Directors Meeting: 12 Sep 2023 at 7:00 pm – Emmanuel Episcopal Church
- Kailua Neighborhood Board Meeting: 7 Sep 2023 at 7:00 pm
Note: See the Enchanted Lake Residents Association/Ka’elepulu Pond website’s home page for meeting schedule and link to the approved board meeting minutes (kaelepulupond.org).