March 2017 Minutes

Board of Directors Monthly Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, March 21, 2017

 Present:  G. Colbert, M. Novack, A. Richardson, B. Molyneux, B. Tassie, K. Compton, D. Vonier, S, Oshiro, R. Castanha, S. Harding, M. Compton (via phone), C. Turner (Webmaster), and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

Absent:  J. Fernie, G. Lingle, G. Gustavson, and B. Bourke (Scientific Advisor).

A quorum was declared and the meeting was called to order at 7:00pm.

Approval of Minutes:  The minutes of the February 21, 2017 meeting were reviewed and approved upon correction.

Finance Report:  A. Richardson reported that the delinquency letters were mailed out to the residents on February 13th, 2017.  There is a total of $9,313 in late charges that were assessed, but if the annual maintenance fees are paid by May 31st, 2017, these late charges will be waived.  Feedback was received by five houses so far.  A. Richardson advised that we move $500,000 to a Capital One Money Market Account.  B. Tassie moved to comply with Al’s suggestion.  It was seconded by G. Colbert.  All were in favor.  The motion passed.  The board was informed by A. Richardson that we must file GE Tax Returns in order to be granted an exemption on our maintenance fees.  He stated that he is hoping we will be granted the waivers although it could take eight months or so to process the returns.  All were favor of approving the financial report.

Strategic Plans:  The Board was reminded to submit news fir Cindy to put in the newsletter.  B. Tassie will conduct a light audit of the records from 7/1/15 to 6/30/16.  M. Novack will continue efforts to secure a meeting room with A & B.

Community Relations:  C. Turner reported that she, B. Bourke and Attorney Linda Paul met with Ikaika Anderson.  She stated that they discussed the goals which they would like to see accomplished.  She shared the following was discussed:  Have the City & County fix the settlement basin, commit to opening the berm 25% and install floating berms with screens to collect debris.  The Board is in support of these goals being met.

Lake Maintenance:  S. Oshiro shared that the weather has not been cooperating and he has not been able to get out and survey/remove debris.  He reported that he received an email regarding nonmembers coming into the lake.  He suggested posting additional signs.  The Board discussed contracting out as finding a steady maintenance crew has been challenging.

Lake Security:  M. Compton reported that the security boat has been fixed.  She stated that Mike Compton has been assisting S. Oshiro with security and has been approaching people on the lake that do not have stickers on their vessels.  The Board discussed probable sites to keep the floating security barge.

Dredging:  G. Colbert informed the Board that the dredging contract has been signed with Oceanit.  He stated that our consultant Jordan Moniuzko has requested a right of entry with Kamehameha Schools and Kukilakila Community Association.  Kamehameha Schools is reportedly working on a right of entry document and Kukilakila is expected to follow suit.  G. Colbert will be scheduling a meeting with both parties to discuss general cooperation protocols.

BY-Laws:  G. Colbert shared that Attorney Beverly Hiramatsu has been working on revamping the by-laws.  The Board discussed possible classes of membership, including benefits afforded to each class and amounts of fees.  G. Colbert stated that he would like to meet again with James Adams, President of Kukilakila, to discuss membership again.  He proposed that we generate a large community effort.

Roundtable:  R. Castanha suggested that the Board plan a small event to recognize Bob Bourke, our Scientific Advisor, who is moving in June, as a way to show our appreciation for all that he has done for our Lake.  A motion was made by R. Castanha, agreed by B. Tassie, and seconded by A. Richardson for the Board to contribute $500 towards a gift for B. Bourke.  All were in favor.

Next meeting date:  The next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 18th, 2017.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action List:  3/21/17 ELRA Board Meeting

 

17/3-1           M. Spencer  Send copy of liability insurance to M. Novack to secure meeting room.     Gather documents for B. Tassie to complete audit.

 

17/3-2           M. Novack   Secure meeting  room with A & B. Contact Hawaii Kai regarding who handles their lake clean up.

 

17/3-3             G. Colbert    Contact a few landscaper/yard firms to discuss possibility of lake clean                    up.    Obtain estimate from B. Hiramatsu regarding By-Laws revamping.

 

17/3-4             B. Tassie     Conduct light audit of financial records.