Enchanted Lake Residents Association Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Tuesday, 10 October 2023
PRESENT: Greg Colbert, Mike Compton, Gus Gustavson, Linda Jenks, Connie Jewell, Margaret Novack, Alan Richardson, Fran Tannen, Cindy Turner, and Don Young, Melody Spencer (Admin)
ABSENT: Todd Jewell and Danny Medeiros
CALL TO ORDER – Don Young: The meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm. A quorum was declared.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – Connie Jewell: Draft minutes were emailed to the Board prior to the meeting. A. Richardson moved to approve the September minutes and G. Gustavson seconded the motion. The minutes were approved.
FINANCIAL REPORT – Gus Gustavson: G. Gustavson reported on the following:
- Annual Budget – The proposed budget for FY 2023-2024 was emailed to the Board prior to the meeting. It reflected actuals from last year and projected increases in areas such as insurance. There were no major changes. M. Novack moved to approve the budget and M. Compton seconded the motion. The budget for FY 2023-2024 was approved by all in attendance.
- Monthly Financial Report – The Monthly Financial Report for the month ending September 2023 as well as a comparison year-to-date expenses with last year were emailed to the Board along with the following summary prior to the meeting:
- There are no significant changes in the ELRA finances for the month of September 2023.
- The American Savings Bank September end of month balances are $2,252 in Savings and $47,734 in checking.
- There was one major expense in August, the renewal of our Director and Officer insurance for $3104.
- Pyramid Insurance continues to shop for new liability insurance coverage, which expires at the end of this month. G. Gustavson has been in correspondence with Matthew Len, our broker. He says they should have had it in place by now and is working to get it completed.
- We are receiving payments and reservations for the Annual Meeting and lunch. But the response to date has been very slow, about 30 people so far. We will be checking the PO box more frequently this week.
The Financial report was approved by acclimation pending audit.
- Correspondence Report – Don Young: See Annual Meeting Update report below.
- Greg Colbert: No report.
- Annual Meeting Update Report – Don Young/Cindy Turner/Fran Tannen:
- Meeting PowerPoint slides – Don Young: Reviewed agenda for the annual meeting and sequence of events. D. Young reported that Levani Lipton and Esther Kia’aina have accepted our invitation to our annual membership meeting and lunch. Esther can only stay for 2 hours so she will be the first speaker after lunch. Reviewed the 2022-2023 four goals, presenters for the meeting, and the present status of the slides. Presently there are only placeholders for Goals I-IV. Presenters for this meeting are D. Young – Welcome, Introductions, etc., G. Gustavson – Finance, M. Compton – Security, L. Jenks/C. Turner – Goal I, G. Colbert – Goal II: Dredging. Goal III: Community Relations – M. Novack, and T. Jewell was volunteered to present Goal IV – Improve Association Administration. C. Turner will compile slides and format the presentation.
- Annual Report – Cindy Turner: C. Turner presented a beautiful copy of the Annual Report that she put together for the upcoming meeting, 160 copies will be printed and ready by the end of the week.
- Lunch – Fran Tannen: F. Tannen provided an update on the deadline for final numbers for Mid-Pac (28 people have confirmed to date). G. Gustavson will collect mail over the weekend and other Board members will call members that have attended the annual meeting in previous years and ask if they are attending this year’s lunch. F. Tannen expects to receive the room layout from Mid-Pac this weekend. Most of the tables will be six-person circulars. There will be a couple of attendants from Mid-Pac with golf carts to assist members, as needed, from the parking lot to the clubhouse.
- 2023 Goals and Objectives Review – Todd Jewell/All: No update.
- Dredging Committee – Greg Colbert: G. Colbert recapped the following options for possible dredging material sites. Only updates are listed below; see August and September meeting minutes for details:
- Olomana determined that soil samples are too hard and therefore declined our dredge material.
- Concerns were discussed about the necessity of building bird islands on the lake. M. Compton suggested that instead of building bird islands G. Colbert present to the Army Corp of Engineers that by dredging the lake and building up the Kamehameha property with dredge material we are improving circulation by opening the outlet. This will result in improved salinity, outflow, and healthier fish.
- Operations Committee – Mike Compton: M. Compton reported that it has been a quiet month.
- Environmental Committee – Cindy Turner: C. Turner said that it appears that work has not begun on cleaning up the debris and vegetation in the Keolu Hardened channel. This was supposed to be accomplished in early October. C. Turner will follow up with Jimmy Kia at the DFM Kailua Baseyard.
- Membership Committee – Danny Medeiros: No report.
OTHER BUSINESS: None
AJOURNMENT: D. Young adjourned the meeting at 8:42 pm.
MINUTES SUBMITTED BY: Connie Jewell
- Annual ELRA Member Meeting: 21 October 2023 at 11:00 am – Mid-Pac Country Club
- Board of Directors Meeting: 14 November 2023 at 7:00 pm – Emmanuel Church
- Kailua Neighborhood Board Meeting: 7 November 2023 at 7:00 pm – Cindy Turner
Note: See the Enchanted Lake Residents Association/Ka’elepulu Pond website’s home page for meeting schedule and link to the approved board meeting minutes (kaelepulupond.org).