September 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Present:  S. Harding, M. Novack, G. Gustavson, A. Richardson, R. Castanha, G. Colbert, D. Kroll, Mike Compton, D. Young, J. Bean and M. Spencer (Administrative Assistant).

Special Guest: Hugo DeVries, Shannon Oshiro and Rona Quebral.

Absent: J. Fernie, Michele Compton, G. Lingle.

A quorum was called by G. Colbert and the meeting was called to order at 7:02 pm.

Approval of Minutes:  August minutes were approved with correction, although there was no quorum at that meeting. 

Finance:  G. Gustavson passed out copies of the financial report which showed prior-year comparison.  G. Gustavson reported that 97 single-family households, 7 Kukilakila households, and 6 associate member households were paid up.  The Finance Report was approved.

Articles of Incorporation/By-Laws:  Everyone’s comments have been taken into consideration and a clean copy of the Articles of Inc. and By-laws will be presented at the November meeting.  For the Articles of Incorporation, a registering agent is required.  Andy Char recommended that no one on the board become the agent due to turnover.  It was agreed to socialize the By-Laws to get general agreement. Then file the Articles of Incorporation.  A special meeting will then be called for the membership to vote on the new By-Laws.

Committee reports: 

Clean-up: Guest Shannon Oshiro discussed the possibility of having the Kailua soccer team assist with clean-up again.  He stated that they would concentrate on 4 areas: Kimo’s cove, Kukilakila shoreline, Keolu St. bridge and lakefronts.  The cleanup date would be on 11/11/19 from 8 am- 12 noon.  He estimated about 40 people would be participating. The clean-up would be a fundraiser and be counted towards the student’s community service hours.  Shannon volunteered to coordinate the clean-up and use of his barges and dingy.  G. Colbert offered a dingy that they can use as well.  Shannon reminded the board that the residents need to be made aware of the clean-up.  G. Gustavson moved and Margaret seconded we approve $500 for the team and $380 for the adult leaders to complete the clean-up.  The motion passed unanimously. 

EcoHarvester: Guest Hugo DeVries spoke about the EcoHarvester and shared that it was incredibly efficient at collecting algae.  He stated that they have a current plan for unloading by taking off the tailgate and having it unload straight onto a barge following behind.  Hugo shared that it appears to be a two-person job.  He stated that it takes about 5 minutes to fill up. The EcoHarverster reportedly doesn’t do well with trash or palm fronds.  The Board discussed what to do with algae.  Hugo stated that farmers may possibly be interested.  Mike Compton stated he will need a name to register it with the State.  M. Novack suggested having a naming contest.

Lake security:  Mike Compton reported that it’s been fairly quiet.  He will continue to send pictures to the board when he has issues.  He shared that he has stopped people fishing late at night.  He also stated that he has seen several new stickers on lake boats and that the stickers are easily visible.  Mike would like to step up safety on the lake.

Dredging Actions:  S. Harding reported that OCEANIT released an official response correspondence to Stann Reiziss concerning dredge construction and material management.  OCEANIT also emailed KS about progress and need to discuss the Right of Entry to KS property for potential contractors.  We are waiting to hear back from KS.  On 09/05/19, Sean Harding briefed KNB about ELRA Dredge Progress emphasizing construction management and oversite for the proposed dredging actions from contractor yet to be named.  Two proposals voted on by the KNB that will have minimal effect; 1) The first motion asks that the dredging be postponed until after hurricane season ends.  Given that hurricanes can cause flooding, this would not be an ideal time to carry out work of this scope.  2) The second motion was a request to keep the berm closed during the dredging process and for one month after the dredging is completed.  S. Harding posted no objections to either motion and both were passed.  Other unanswered items of interest by the KNB committee were 1) Odor mitigation for lakeside dewatering/drying, 2) Heavy weather plans and mitigation by the contractor, 3) Any thought or benefits to lake aeration.  S. Harding offered to brief the KNB on updated status once a contractor has been selected.  KNB desires follow-up briefings as major dredge progress events occur.  One dissenting non-KNB person (Stann Reiziss) spoke out against berm opening and dredging.  S. Harding reported that he sent out via email the final ELRA Dredge RFP to six potential contractors.  Sealed proposals are due back 10/11/19.  G. Gustavson moved and Margaret seconded approval for $62,845 for OCEANIT to provide oversight for 3 months, weekly site inspections, permits, project plans and specification on protected species, coordinate project notification and water sampling.  The motion passed unanimously. 

Executive session was called. 

  1. Kroll motioned and Mike Compton seconded to accept the budget for the annual meeting. The motion passed unanimously.

Next Meeting Date:  The next meeting date will be Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 at 7pm at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church at 780 Keolu Drive, Kailua.  The meeting was adjourned at 9:15pm.